Have you ever heard of automatic writing?
Automatic writing is a technique that taps into your intuition and your higher self. It is a way to open up and let thoughts and ideas flow into your conciseness. It is a form of active mediation. The results of what is written can be anything from nonsense to insight.
This article is a little how-to on automatic writing. We strongly recommend that you follow the steps, especially the prep work:
- Create a quiet, relaxing space. Shut off the tv and remove distractions. We recommend going to a quiet, private space in your home. Before sitting down, imagine this area filled with positivity, light, or anything uplifting and calm. Your thoughts are energy and how you feel about the space is essential. You may want to think aloud, “this space nourishes and comforts my soul.”
- Set up your writing space. You can write with paper and pen or on the computer, whichever is most convenient for you. Remove anything distracting, and we recommend doing the writing at a table or desk. This is because you will be in a light meditative state, and you need to be in a position that will accomplish two things- keep you somewhat alert but is also comfortable and relaxing.
- Once your writing area is set up and you are seated, plant your feet firmly on the ground. Sit straight up with your spine in alignment. Relax your shoulders. Take several slow, deep breaths. You want to be as relaxed as you can be while still being aware enough to write or type.
- The following is the most critical step of all. Before you begin writing, you will want to tap into your higher self. If you are new to this, we recommend praying for protection. It can be like, “Dear God (or however you address the energy that connects us all), please wrap me in white, protective light. Allow only the highest and pure messages to come through to me. Make sure to add a saying of gratitude, such as, "I am grateful for the guidance and love you stow upon me."
- If you still need to do this, put the pen in your hand or your fingers on the keys of your computer. If you become too aware at any time, take some deep breaths and get into a light meditative state.
- Now, it is time to do automatic writing. This is the part where you can ask for messages. If you are new to automatic writing, you will do your best to ask for basic information with yes or no answers. Your first question could be… “Am I tapped into my higher self?”
- Let your mind open and listen to the information that comes through. Your hand or fingers may move before you know the message from your higher consciousness. You may see the words appear and feel like they are coming from above you instead of your mind.
Please know that there is the possibility that nothing will happen. Usually, it takes several times of trying before automatic writing begins. This is because we are generally connected to our higher self during a dreamlike state and rarely listen to our higher consciousness in our day-to-day activities. Often, when we first learn the skill, the words come slowly or do not make sense. We may get the same word or phrase repeated several times. We may get scribbles or a mishmash of letters. That is OK. Like anything we learn, it takes practice and patience. The more you attempt automatic writing, the closer you will get to master the task.
I have been doing automatic writing on and off for almost 30 years. When I first started, I wanted to get messages from my father, who passed away when I was 18. It took months before I was able to channel messages from him. In the beginning, the messages were short and repetitive. I practiced meditation to open up my third eye and crown to connect and hear him. For me, connecting to my dad was important. A few months before he passed away in a car accident, I said some horrible things, including that I never wanted to hear from him again and that I hoped he would die. My parents had divorced four years earlier, and it was messy. After he died, I carried a tremendous amount of guilt. I felt I was undeserving of anything because of what I said.
But as I mastered automatic writing, I was able to heal my relationship with my father. Through this practice, I could see the situation from a higher perspective. I learned that he could see things from that vantage point as well. He could see what was in my heart, that those words were out of hurt and pain, and that I love him. I could feel his love too. We both could express our apologies (though he always tells me I do not need to apologize.) Whether or not the messages are indeed from him, it does not matter. The result is that through automatic writing, I could step outside of my guilt-ridden conscious self and get to a place of greater understanding. And through this knowledge, I could take steps to heal my damaged soul.
About the author: Theresa Touhey owns Nature Reflections, an online jewelry store specializing in handcrafted Angel Callers and Harmony Ball Jewelry. She is also an artist, a writer, a grandmother, a caregiver to a rescued Havanese dog, and a nature lover. She has practiced various forms of meditation and yoga for over 30 years.